Mold inside homes pose dangerous health risks to everyone residing in it. No one ever expect unforeseen circumstances, mold is a silent intruder that creates unpredicted issues. Symptoms like fatigue, weakness, headaches, joint pain, chronic cough, shortness of breath and sinus congestion are just a few of the reactions from exposure to mold. Dire medical conditions and in many cases death is attributed to toxic mold.
However, it really is not difficult to avoid a mold infestation once you have the necessary knowledge to deal with it. Knowing what mold is, how to distinguish it and what steps to take to avoid it is of utmost importance.
What Exactly is Mold?
Mold is a type of fungi that develops in the form of multicellular thread-like filaments and is necessary for the breakdown of some types of matter. In order to develop, molds need food, appropriate temperature, oxygen and moisture. Once those requirements are met, mold will create spores and release them into the air to reproduce. Mold spores are normally dormant until humid levels surpass 70% of when the temperature is beyond 65 degrees. Molds are found everywhere, they exist indoors and outdoors but always originate in wet places. Mold contact is more normal than usual, it is the causing factor of spoiled food, rotten wood and smelly paper.
How to Distinguish Mold?
Mold is that black gooey mud like stuff you often find on damped window sills. Stored fabric or paper in a wet location will normally produce a musty smell from the discomposure of it due to mold. An active development of mold normally creates a black, orange, green or purple slime. In its beginning stage, mold looks like a web and when fully matured it looks like a tiny bush. It has a whitish appearance when completely dried. Even if unnoticeable, mold is most likely present in highly humid places. Wet areas are an indication of a problem that will follow with mold growth. If you are unsure whether or not you have a mold infestation, performing a quick examination will help you verify. Spill a little bit of bleach on the presumed area and check if the color disappears, if it does most likely it is mold. However, if the color does not change then it certainly is not mold. Using your sense of smell is another great way to verify if mold is present, that musty order normally indicates the presence of it.