What is mold?
Mold is a type of fungus that develops in warm and humid places and it is reproduced through spores. Spores are incredibly tough and can thrive in harsh and dry environments where mold cannot. Realistically speaking, mold is practically found in every environment. Black mold is the most frequently type of mold fond inside homes. Household molds normally grow in surfaces that are high in cellulose like gypsum board, fiberboard, paper, wood, lint and dust. Nonetheless, there are other kinds of molds that can also develop on things like carpet or food. Mold plays an important role in the breakdown process of organic material like leaves, dead trees and manure.
There are no established government or EPA standards of mold levels within a commercial or residential area, for that reason it is next to impossible to confirm whether or not a room or building is complying with regulations of exposure to mold. It is important to know that the most effective way to avoid mold is controlling moisture.
- There are different types of mold some which are generally identified as mildew.
- Mold has the capacity to survive outdoors or indoors and can thrive in warm, damp and humid ecosystems.
- Although mold itself isn’t poisonous there are many types of mold that generate a toxic substance called mycotoxins.
- The most commonly known health risks of mold are allergic reactions. Mold signs and symptoms can include:
- watery and itchy eyes
- runny or stuffy nose
- sore or scratchy throat
Mold Exposure Treatment
Allergic reactions may happen immediately or develop after a period of time following exposure. Avoiding allergens from within a property is the best way to control mold exposure symptoms. However, if evading them is impossible then you may have to resort to pharmaceutical drugs. Some pharmaceutical drugs commonly known to treat reactions to mold exposure are antihistamines. Antihistamines are a type of drug that fights the release of histamine receptors in the body during an allergic episode.
Many people have a dire reaction when exposed to mold, some of those common but dangerous symptoms are problematic breathing and fever. Individuals with an existing illness of the lungs can acquire fatal infections. It is impossible to determine the seriousness of mold exposure, however, the level of vulnerability depends on the person’s immune system.